Trash Collection, Recycling, and Yard Waste Information
The Township provides Trash Collection, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection through the Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA).
Trash and recycling problems, and questions should be directed to the ACUA at 609-272-6950 or 800-613-2282 / www.acua.com.
GENERAL TRASH RULES / REQUIREMENTS
- Residents are encouraged to limit their weekly trash to three (3) 32 gallon containers or the equivalent per collection.
- Recycling is mandatory. Make sure to separate all recyclable items from your trash for curbside pickup. Single Stream recycling makes it easy to put all recyclables in the same blue containers.
- Excess trash will be left until the next pick up date if over the limit. Please remove excess trash from the curb until the next pick up date.
- Two (2) tires per week with without rims will be picked up at curbside.
- Trash containers shall be metal or plastic, water tight, have handles, not exceed 32 gals. & weigh no more than 50 lbs. when filled. Plastic bags may be used in place of containers. Metal drums are NOT acceptable. Please secure trash from animals. Loose or non-contained trash will not be picked up.
- Bulky trash (mattress, couch, furniture) will be collected on your trash day – limit (2) items per week. Bundles of painted or stained wood should be cut in 4 ft. lengths and must not weigh more than 50 lbs. per bundle.
- Bulky Rigid Plastics (plastic buckets, crates, toys, pallets, shelving, chairs, VHS tapes, 5-gallon bottles, and car bumpers).
- ACUA collects only residential trash. Commercial, industrial, building or demolition projects must provide for their own dumpster and arrange for pick-up by a private hauler.
- Placement time: All waste materials set out for collection shall be placed at curbside no later than 7 am on collection day and no sooner than 7 pm on the evening before. All empty waste containers must be removed from curbside by 7 pm on the day of collection.
- Trash rule violations carry penalties of a $100.00 – $500.00 fine and/or community service may be assessed.
- Yard Waste (leaves, brush, grass, clean wood): Place loose material in labeled cans or biodegradable kraft-type bags – bags should not exceed 50 lbs.
- Brush/branches must be bundled & tied with twine & should not exceed 4 ft. in length or 4”- 6” in diameter.
Recycling Drop Off Center
The Center is open to all BVT residents – proof is required. The items below will be accepted on the 1st Saturday of each month at the Public Works Yard at 430 Union Rd. between 8 am & 12 noon (some holidays may cause dates to change).
ITEMS ACCEPTED AT NO CHARGE: appliances, metals, motor oil, brush/leaves in biodegradable Kraft-type bags, recyclables, e-waste, auto/light truck tires (rims must be removed) limit up to 4, truck/farm equipment tires (rims must be removed) limit up to 2 per month.
RECYCLING DROP OFF CENTER RULES
- Center is for residential use.
- None of the following will be accepted: Household trash, construction, demolition or business materials, shingles, wood (painted, stained or treated), houses, barns, sheds, wooden fences or cement.
- Recyclable items must be presorted and ready for disposal.
- The Township reserves the right to limit quantities and to refuse unacceptable items.
- You must unload yourself.
- No tipping.
Single Stream Recycling
Atlantic County’s recycling program is a single-stream program. Recyclable items can now go together in one container: All flattened cardboard and pizza boxes, office papers, newspaper & magazines, brown paper bags, aluminum cans, telephone & paperback books, paperboard, glass bottles & jars, junk mail, tin & steel cans together in the same containers without separating. Special Plastic Note: Recycle all plastic containers with a number 1 thru 7. Please NO Styrofoam or plastic bags. Check our website for current acceptable recycling items or www. acua.com. Please NO Styrofoam or plastic bags.
BLUE RECYCLING CONTAINERS
The County provides each home in Buena Vista with one recycling container. The containers are the property of the ACUA and are to be used only for acceptable recycling items. Any trash placed in the blue containers will not be removed by the ACUA. Contact ACUA for replacement containers (there may be a cost for additional containers). Blue containers purchased at retail stores may also be used.
E-WASTE (Electronic Waste)
Curbside pickup is not available. You can drop these items off at no cost at the BVT Public Works Yard, 430 Union Road (near Oak Road) on the first Saturday of each month between 8 am and 12 noon. Items may also be dropped off at any Goodwill and other approved locations. Check the ACUA’s website for options.
Items covered: TVs, monitors, terminals, CRTs, CPUs, cables, keyboards, telephones, printers, copiers, typewriter, modems, telephone mainframes, laptops, mainframe equipment, fax machines, medical equipment, lab equipment & other electronic items.