Office of Vital Statistics

Lisa A. Tilton, CMR, RMC
Registrar of Vital Statistics

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesdays until 7:30 PM

Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Civil Union or Death Certificates

To obtain a certified copy of a Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Civil Union or Death Record occurring in Buena Vista Township, please send a written request with a copy of Photo ID (Valid Driver’s License) showing address or Photo ID without address and one (1) other form of ID showing shipping address or alternate forms of ID showing shipping address.  Buena Vista Township will only ship to the address on the ID.

Acceptable types of alternate identification are:  Driver’s license without photo, vehicle registration, insurance card, voter registration card, passport, green card, county ID, school ID, utility bill.

Mail to: Buena Vista Township Clerks Office
P.O. Box 605
Buena, NJ 08310

The fee is $12.00 cash, money order or personal check for each copy issued.
Application for Certified Copy of a Vital Record.

Marriage License and Civil Union License

License application CLICK HERE

If either applicant is a resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where either party resides.

If neither party is a resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the ceremony will be performed and is only valid for use in that municipality.

There is a seventy-two (72) hour waiting period after the application for the license has been completed.  Both the parties and a witness who knows both of the applicants must make an appointment with the Registrar to complete the necessary paperwork.  Office hours for license applications are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:30PM, and Tuesdays until 7:00 PM.  Our address is 890 Harding Highway, Buena, NJ 08310

A certified birth certificate with the parents’ names is recommended and a Valid Photo Driver’s License is required.  If either or both of the applicants have been married or in a civil union before, you need to show proof of how that relationship ended. Examples are a copy of the final decree or a death certificate.  Both the applicants must provide their Social Security numbers (Married Person Title 37:117).

Consent of both parents is necessary if an applicant is under eighteen (18) years of age.  Consent of both parents and judicial approval of their consents are necessary if the applicant is younger than sixteen (16).

The license fee is $28.00, cash or money order.

There is also a $12.00 fee for each certified copy of the marriage, cash, money order or personal check.